Here are my current top five portrait photography lighting tips:
1) Start with one light. The most important light is your main light. It sets up the whole foundation of how your subject is presented in a portrait.
2) Get your flash off your camera. Getting your flash away from your camera is going to make a world of difference in your flash portrait photography.
3) Use constant light when you can. Constant light sources like natural light or interior ambient lighting often give us the most natural, real-world looking light for our portraits.
4) Use manual camera and flash settings. For most indoor flash portraiture, manual is the way to go.
5) Keep the light above the subject’s head. I try to avoid strong underlighting.